Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Taco Soup

Three months ago, I would have done just about anything for "soup weather."  After enduring nearly 5 grueling months of triple digit temperatures, October hit and I was more than ready for it to dip low enough to wear sweater boots, jackets, and gloves, to warm up with a nice bowl of hot soup, and to cuddle up on the couch with a blanket and glass of hot cocoa.  Unfortunately that isn't how it works in the Phoenix valley...Halloween is usually too warm to wear a costume, we go to the park on Thanksgiving, and I'm running my air conditioner until December!  This week though, the valley has been hit with the coldest temperatures it has seen in 25 years and I am here with 2 kids who each only own one light jacket!  You would think growing up in Utah and Idaho, and enduring negative temperatures during this last Christmas season, I would be immune to these just-above-freezing-temperatures, but I am not.  I am freezing my butt off and cannot wait until it gets back up to the 70's this weekend!  This is about as "soup weather" as we get in this part of the world.  So while we are freezing, I am taking full advantage and making bowls and bowls of soup this week!  Chances are, you are in a much colder part of the world than I am, in which case I strongly recommend this hearty and delicious taco soup.   Using an old recipe given to me by a friend several years ago, and an easy recipe for homemade taco seasoning, I came up with this version and all in my family were quite pleased.   It has just enough spice for my taste, and served with the most delicious corn bread muffins of all time (recipe coming later this week), it is an easy and filling weeknight dinner.  The recipe makes about 10 1/2 cups, so if you have a small group to feed, you might consider halving the recipe.  Also, if made exactly the way the recipe reads, it only has about 175 calories per 1 cup serving!  That leaves you some wiggle room to add on some shredded cheese, sliced avocado, and sour cream...and 2...or 3...or 4 of those delightful cornbread muffins!  Here's the recipe:

Taco Soup

1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cups water
2 undrained 14-16 ounce cans diced tomatoes
2 undrained 14-16 ounce cans dark red kidney beans
1 drained 14-16 ounce can corn
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Brown ground beef/turkey and onion in a skillet.  Drain fat and transfer to a large pot.  Add in all of the other ingredients and stir to combine.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Once boiling, turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.  Serve with shredded cheese, sliced avocados, and sour cream if desired.

*Note:  If you prefer, you can use a packet of taco seasoning in place of all the spices.

Recipe Source:  The Unsophisticated Kitchen with help from this recipe for homemade taco seasoning. 

I joined the linky party at:
Lil\'Luna

Whipperberry
Tidy Mom
The Country Cook
Foodie Friends Friday
Tater Tots & Jello
Six Sister's Stuff
I Heart Nap Time
Chef in Training

4 comments:

  1. I would LOVE this tasty soup! Thanks so much for sharing at Weekend Potluck. Please check your link back to be sure it goes to the party. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about my link! It should be fixed now!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing with us at Foodie Friends Friday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup looks amazing! I wish I had a bowl right now, in fact! Pinned :) I hope you'll come and share at my Super Saturday Show & Tell! http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com xoxo~Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! I read every single comment and I really appreciate them! Thanks for taking the time to comment! Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...